The Tiberian Villa near the Blue Grotto
One of the thirteen Villas of the Emperor Tiberius in Capri, the Villa dominates the promontory overlooking the sea of Capri Island overlooking the northwest side.
The Villa was discovered by the famous Italian archaeologist Amedeo Maiuri. The land he was buried was donated to the Italian state by Swedish doctor Axel Munthe. The excavations lasted from 1937 to 1948.
It tells the legend that there is a link between the Blue Grotto and Villa Damecuta.
The Blue Cave, cheered, was the private pool of Tiberius and from its cavities it was possible to reach one of the Emperor’s villas.
Archaeological studies seem to identify access to Villa Damecuta from the Sea, more precisely from Gradola where there was probably once an equipped mooring point.
The villa was built in giulio-claudia age, the structure is in cross-linked limestone.
Following the eruption of Mount Vesuvius of 79 BC. He was abandoned. Villa Damecuta suffered various transformations. In the Middle Ages it was used as a fortification and a watchtower was built, in the 7th century it was exploited for the defense of the Island from the Kings of Naples.
How to get to Villa Damecuta
Starting from Anacapri, from the cemetery square shortly after Piazza Vittoria
from Piazza Vittoria (10 minutes by car).
Starting from Piazza Vittoria, cross the shopping street via G. Orlandi, via via Pagliaro and via Tuoro.
From Villa Damecuta to Gradola or to the Blue Grotto
If you want to reach Gradola or the Blue Cave, passing via Damecuta, to reach the Blue Grotto (by bus or taxi 10 minutes, a nice 25 minute walk).
Entrance is free. Closing Mondays
Public Opening Hours:
10.00-13.00 / 15.00-19.00
Winter opening hours:
10.00-13.00 / 14.30-17.00